Get the Preventive Care You Need
Annual Wellness Visits and Your Primary Care Provider
Your Primary Care Provider (PCP) is like family. So, choosing one you like and building a relationship with them is key to your health
year-after-year. Plan on seeing your PCP at least once a year for your free annual wellness visit. Making sure your PCP is aware of all your
medical conditions—even those that are well managed and under control—helps ensure you receive the care and coverage you need to
manage your conditions.
Note: If your AWV also includes a discussion of the management of your current chronic medical conditions (e.g., diabetes, high blood
pressure, arthritis) in addition to your preventive services, a copayment may apply. A copayment may also apply if lab tests or other testing
is completed to assess your chronic medical conditions.
And remember, our Member Advocates can help you find the right doctor for your needs and help you schedule an appointment.
Preventive Care Services
Our plan covers many preventive care services, including:
• Abdominal aortic aneurysm screening
• Alcohol misuse counseling
• Bone mass measurement
• Breast cancer screening (mammogram)
• Cardiovascular disease (behavioral therapy)
• Cardiovascular screenings
• Cervical and vaginal cancer screening
• Colorectal cancer screenings (colonoscopy, fecal occult blood test, flexible sigmoidoscopy)
• Depression screening
• Diabetes screenings
• HIV screening
• Medical nutrition therapy services
• Obesity screening and counseling
• Prostate cancer screenings (PSA)
• Sexually transmitted infections screening and counseling
• Tobacco use cessation counseling (counseling for people with no sign of tobacco-related disease)
• Vaccines, including flu shots, hepatitis B shots (covered for high-risk individuals who meet criteria), pneumococcal shots
• “Welcome to Medicare” preventive visit (one-time)
• Annual wellness visit
Any additional preventive services approved by Medicare during the contract year will be covered.
We use letters (and sometimes a phone reminder system) to let you know when it’s time to schedule preventive screenings for:
• Cervical cancer
• Breast cancer
• Colon cancer
You may also get a mailer explaining why these cancer screenings are important and to help you find a clinic.